Wednesday, December 8, 2010

It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year...For a Holiday Dress!

As soon as I saw this gem in the thrift store, I thought to myself "oh, a holiday dress, that would be fun!"  So here is a holiday dress that is ready for all those Christmas and New Year's Eve parties! (Well, once we walk through the transformation of course!)    :)


Before

What I like about the piece:

-The holiday dress look...or at least the potential!
-The Christmas green belt :)
-Maybe I'm a dork, but I actually like the poofy shoulder sleeves! (minus the shoulder pads of course) haha

To be honest, it took me a couple of days to figure out exactly what I wanted to do.  I had quite a few ideas, but wasn't sure how they would work out.  Once I finally figured it out, I set off to work.

First, I got rid of those shoulder pads.  I know I can count on that being the first step!

Next, I decided that the sleeves needed to be more of a short sleeve length.  I have no idea what length they were...they were longer than 3/4 and less than full, unless I just have monkey arms. haha!


Then I went to town cutting off the length of the dress.  I think I cut off around 16 in.  It was quite a bit.  




After the cutting was all done, it was time to start sewing up the arms and the bottom hem.  



Look at that festive green velvet!



And the skirt:




And that's it, all done! The festive dress is ready to go!





I think for this to be a more realistic dress to wear when there is snow on the ground, it would require some cute tights and/or some nice boots.  I was pretty cold in this picture and we don't keep it that cold in our house, though my husband may disagree :)

No comments:

Post a Comment