Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Butterfly Sundress

It has been up in the 40s around here lately, so I'm getting all summer minded! :) Okay, so it may be a bit early to be getting excited for summer, but it will be here before we know it, right?

This dress caught my eye in the thrift store last week...


How cute is that! Well, for the most part...
What I liked about this dress:

-I love, LOVE the lavender stripes
-I really like the summer-y feel

I am not so crazy about the bright tie-dyed butterflies. They aren't horrible, but it just seemed like there were a few too many.

My husband (he really is amazing by the way) gave me the idea to make a cute little summer tote bag (those are my words, not his, haha). So leading up to when I actually started working on this, I thought I would make a tote bag; but I just kept thinking how it would make such a cute little dress!

So I gave in and went to work on making a cute little beachy/summery sundress!
I started by cutting off the top (which included some of those in-your-face butterflies).



I thought about cutting out the other butterflies toward the bottom, but then the dress would have been crazy short, and I liked the current length, so I decided that they would stay-they are kind of cute in small amounts, and in a summery dress :)

Since there was no zipper in this dress (which by the way, made it really, really hard to get on before I cut off the top...seriously, my head barely fit through, and I don't think I have an abnormally large head or anything) I decided to go with elastic to hold up the dress.


I sewed the casing for the elastic, fed it through, and then sewed the ends to secure it.


I then hand sewed the opening and voila! It was finished!



All ready for summertime! Oh, and I forgot to mention that the dress has pockets! LOVE pockets!


Doesn't this just make you want to be at the beach? Or at least out in the sun! :)

I listed this super cute dress Here on my etsy shop. Since it is elastic top, it will fit sizes small-medium.

I also have been brainstorming with my awesomely creative sister on different options for vintage buttons. I came up with this the other day:


It is a vintage button bib style necklace. The base is actually a repurposed shoulder pad from the flower-tastic dress. I may have just found a use for all these shoulder pads I am collecting! :)

I listed this necklace and another one I made on my etsy as well :)


Linking to:

Sew Much Ado: We Did It Wednesday


Paisley Passions: Thrilling Thursday  

The Speckled Dog: Favorite Things Friday

14 comments:

  1. Yay! Another reworkin', craftin' girl!
    http://kristinaclemens.blogspot.com/2011/02/anthropologizing-target.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This came out fabulous! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness this is adorable and I love the necklace too! Beautiful job! I am hosting a new link party on my blog this week, I would love for you to link up:)
    http://eisymorgan.blogspot.com/2011/02/inspired-by-you-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! so darn cute - you are amazing...I am so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So amazingly cute! I love what you did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, very cute. I love the new dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW. beautiful transformation!

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truthfully, I couldn't see the potential in the before pic but I love how it turned out! Your very talented. New follower!
    ~Mary
    www.thecraftygals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog! This dress is really cute, and I'm glad to find someone else who likes to take thrift store finds and transform them! :)

    Bri
    http://fourtyninedresses.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is completely awesome. I hate the before and LOVE the after: you are magical!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just wanted to let you know you were featured at Inspire Me Wed here..
    http://eisymorgan.blogspot.com/2011/02/inspired-by-you-wednesday-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um, WOW! This went from Mrs. Roper to Chrissy Snow real fast! Awesome!

    I featured you this week and I'm a new follower!

    http://thespeckleddog.blogspot.com/2011/02/favorite-things-friday-no-13.html

    ReplyDelete