Saturday, December 4, 2010

Denim Delight

The first official post!  Here goes!

Here again is a before picture of this wonderful blue jean dress:


I'll start off by explaining what I liked about this piece.

-I love the embroidery scroll work down the front.
-I also love the buttons down the front that have a scroll work pattern on them as well.
-I like that it is lightweight denim, which would be easier to work with.

I was instantly inspired to make a really cute jean vest.  I actually initially thought of my friend Emily, who has a fitted jean vest and it just looked amazing.  I've seen some really cute ones in the stores, and have wanted one, but never got around to buying one. So I set off....

First before anything else, I had to get those I-want-to-look-like-a-football-player shoulder pads out!




The back of this dress had little ties to make it more fitted. I knew for sure I was going to have to take it in, but wanted to keep those ties.



I then  marked where I wanted to cut off the length and went to town sewing a stopper for the zipper.



After that, I cut off the skirt, got my good 'ol seam ripper out and took the sleeves off.  Which left me with a jean vest!



All I had left to do was take in the sides and sew up the arm holes and the bottom in the back.  I did break out my serger so there was less fraying jean material to deal with!




After all of that, I had my finished product!
Tah-Dah! :)





I really like how it turned out! And my black turtleneck fit under it just perfectly!
After I finished and was looking at the pictures on the computer, I had the idea of cinching the straps.  It might look cute, I may have to pick a rainy day (or snowy I guess!) and do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment